Thursday, July 4, 2013

"Teaching with Technology" -My First Blog

"Teaching with Technology"

I believe that EDUC 504 "Teaching with Technology" is going to be a very insightful and important class on my road to becoming a twenty-first century educator.  If I just sit back and think of my own experience as a student throughout the years, technology has played a very important role in helping me learn and grasp curriculum of all disciplines.  When I started school in the mid-1990's I remember there rarely being a computer in every classroom, most classes just shared a couple computers, and ironically these computers we located out in the hall.  I remember there being T.V's and no projectors or smart boards.  As I began middle school and high school I do remember technology being much more prevalent inside the class.  Teachers often used projectors and computers on a daily basis to present material.
                With the increased prevalence of technology in the classroom teachers can now reach students in many different ways.  Technology in the classrooms allows students to learn well beyond the textbooks, allowing teachers to have unlimited access to resources and lesson plans.  Moreover, and most importantly perhaps, technology empowers students in taking an active role in furthering their learning and education; technology allows students to take ownership of their academics.  I think it is also important to note that technology in the classroom also helps to bridge the achievement and social gaps so prevalent in American schools by allowing all students access to a wealth of interconnected knowledge. 

                As a prospective secondary history teacher I see myself incorporating technology into my classroom at every moment it allows itself.  I hope that all kids in my class will have a computer or tablet in front of them allowing for instant internet access.  It is my hope that through technology I can make history fun and exciting for all my students.  Furthermore, I feel it is my job as an educator in the twenty-first century to see to it that all students have a confident and basic understanding of technology prior to entering the "real world."      

5 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew! I love your background of your blog :) I love hearing from you and your insight on what it means to be a "21st century educator." These words hold such a large meaning and weight for us that I'm really happy you employed them in your blog. I too remember when there wasn't much technology in classrooms and how much it has changed to today. I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wondering if there was one bit of technology that is available today that you really wish you had in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, Andrew, I don't believe that I had a computer in the classroom until college, with the possible exception of going to a computer lab for Math (we were using Commodores, if I remember correctly), and for typing class (but that was for one semester, and solely for the purpose of practicing basic word processing). With such limited use, you might imagine that typing was not my forte. Also, I remember using floppy disks when they were actually ... floppy. (Perhaps I'm dating myself just a bit.)

    Nevertheless, I have very similar feelings about technology and its potential. Moreover, as a fellow history teacher, we already have a unique academic grounding in placing many things in context, including technology. And, though the historic record may be based in textual evidence, we historians (well, some of us) look beyond the written record. There, you will find things such as the seed, a stone shard, and rudimentary systems of irrigation, all examples of early technology. So, you are very right, I believe--technology, and knowledge thereof, can make an impact. Furthermore, because of that "historical" affinity that we share, I very much look forward to our continued growth together as teachers of history. And, I truly appreciate the Indiana, can-do, optimism that you bring to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology does seem to be changing the face of everything, classrooms included. I think your classroom would be very interactive and engaging if you had everything you wanted there. My high school was pretty well off and had this computer lab on a cart thing. I'm sure that's something that will be implement for tablets and new laptops as well.
    Other than that, I enjoyed the blog and I look forward to this joining your quest for knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also remember when they first started to bring computers into elementary/middle school. My class had those old-school Macs with the rainbow apples still on them. I wonder what it will be like teaching students who can't remember a time WITHOUT technology. For us, there was a gradual learning curve, but (as I think we've seen a bit at Scarlett) most kids today have been texting and surfing from an early age.

    ReplyDelete