Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Learning about Pinterest

I really enjoyed learning the in's and out's of Pinterest the last few days.  I feel that the website will be really beneficial for me as an educator.  I found it very similar to one of my favorite websites, Stumbleupon.  Pinterest allows users to: make a wishlist, plan a trip, organize an event, start a collection, and plan a project.  Pinterest allows users to create and manage image collections such as events, interests, and hobbies.  Pinterest gives each users a pin board, homepage, where they can compile all their interests and likes in one place.  You can search for virtually any topic or idea on the cite.  I definitely see myself using this website as a history teacher in years to come.  The website is very user friendly and easy to set up or sync with your Facebook.  
As a future history I found the cite to have tremendous potential for aiding me in my lectures and curriculum.  I searched for history and found a ton of great primary pictures, historical facts, and geographic facts and concepts.  I think it would be great to be able to build a large collection of images and facts that I could use to supplement, and enhance my lessons.  Pinterest can be very helpful in providing teachers with innovative and creative ideas for lesson plans.Moreover, I really liked one feature of Pinterest that I feel will come in great use as I begin to teach and look for outside sources to fill my lesson plans.  I really like how if you click on a picture it makes it much larger, and if you click on the image again it takes you directly to the pictures respective website.  Here I can find even more information about the photo or topic. 
I plan on using Pinterest in the classroom almost everyday.  My goal is to make history exciting and relevent to my students.  I feel that the abundance of images and ideas located on Pinterest will be great to use in the class.  Furthermore, some individuals are visual learners and this will be a great opportunity to include them.  I also noticed Pinterest has a great section for teachers, giving ideas on how to teach lessons in an innovative and exciting way.  I cant wait to use Pinterest in the classroom!!  



 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Andrew, you should have posted some of the pictures that you pulled off of Pinterest. I thought the archival photos of "Back in the Day" or however it was titled were really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how Pinterest might be used. We didn't have a Pinterest extraordinaire in our group. Beyond finding pictures, how can the site be useful? Your blog was vague when it came to how to be innovative and creative.

    ReplyDelete