Thursday, October 31, 2013

Tech Tools in Use-Prezi

       
             Earlier in the semester three of my fellow Mac'ers presented the website Prezi to our cohort and I must say I was impressed.  I was impressed first and foremost by Cory, Even, and Matt's well done presentation and delivery of Prezi.   They explained the website top to bottom and spent a good amount of time showing the class how we as future educators can use the website to better present our daily lessons .  Moreover, I was also impressed with the actual product of Prezi.  Prior to the presentation I had only heard about Prezi and its ability to allow a user to create an aesthetically pleasing presentation.  Additionally,  initially I had no clue how to make a Prezi  presentation, I also had no knowledge of what the websites limitations were.  As a future secondary history teacher I see a lot of potential in Prezi and feel that I will definitely find a use for it in my class.  Through Cory, Even, and Matt's presentation I feel like I have a good grip on how to navigate the Prezi website and create my own Prezi from scratch. 
            I feel that incorporating Prezi presentation with a traditional history lecture could create a very effective combination for initiating learning.  With the ability to embed videos, music, pictures, and other medians I believe that Prezi is perfect for catering to the multitude of different learning styles present within an average classroom.  Throughout the groups presentation Cory, who is an historian by trade, showed the class a couple example presentations of how you can create and implement a history Prezi presentation.  Prezi allows the creator to include primary sources such as, maps, artwork, documents, pictures, political cartoons, and much more inside the presentation.  It also allows the creator to present the information with unique transitions and backgrounds that make the presentation much more captivating for students during their long days at school.  The technical term for these cool transitions that can be customized based on the users desire is "Zooming User Interface", or commonly abbreviated as ZUI.  From the few times I have messed around with Prezi since the presentation in class I have found the website to be user-friendly and easy to navigate.  All in all I give Prezi a grade "A" and find that it can be a very effective supplement when presenting information to students.                  

1 comment:

  1. So, then, Mr Sorich, how would you assess (grade) our Prezi presentation? What rubric would you use/follow? Turning to your own teaching, how do you assess your students? Multiple-choice, short-answer, or otherwise? The short-answer item is used primarily to measure simple recall of knowledge. Although this item type tends to be rather easy to write and use, they are no very adaptable to measuring complex learning outcomes; and scoring is tedious, time consuming, and somewhat subjective. A handful of rules for writing short-answer items helps teachers steer clear of these and other shortcomings: (1) State the item so that only a single, brief answer is possible; (2) Start with a direct question and switch to an incomplete statement only when greater conciseness is possible by doing so; (3) It is best to leave only one blank, and it should relate to the main point of the statement; (4) Place the blanks at the end of the statement; (5) Avoid extraneous clues to the answer; (6) For numerical answers, indicate the degree of precision expected and the united in which they are to be expressed. But I should like to point out that each child learns differently. For example, I currently assess all of my 120 AP students every Friday. They receive 20 multiple-choice questions every Friday; in addition, they receive a short essay question every other Friday. The latter is used as a means to bolster grades; it’s a time to receive an extra 30 points or so. This is done, in part, because many of the students struggle with multiple-choice questions. But what’s the different between, for example, a 56/60, 52/60, 51/60, 49/60, 47/60 or below? It just seems so subjective. These points may not sound like a like, but they could potentially mean the difference between an A and a B, which for most students is a big deal! Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete